Why Use a Cybersecurity Consulting Firm?

First and foremost, the cyber threats to small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs) are real and when you are compromised (notice I said when not if) the implications could be disastrous.  SMEs are now the preferred targets for cybercriminals – not because they are lucrative prizes individually but because automation makes it easy to attack them by the thousands, and far too many of them are easy targets. 

In fact, one in five small businesses falls victim to cyber-crime every year.  And even worse, of those businesses that are breached, about 60 percent go out of business within six months of the attack, this according to National Cyber Security Alliance.

SMEs are generally unsecure due to the lack of properly trained security personnel and a correlating lack of security controls.  According to McAfee research, a typical medium-sized business with 50 to 1,000 users has an average of 1.8 IT professionals on staff. In addition, only eight percent of companies within this market segment typically have a security specialist on staff. If only 8 percent of medium-sized businesses have a security specialist on staff, who is doing the security work within the other 92 percent of medium-sized businesses?

Perhaps it’s time to consider a less traditional approach.  For smaller businesses it simply doesn’t make sense to invest in a full-time security staff when you can hire a virtual one and get the specialty skills you need to draw up a strategic overview and deliver the big picture. No need to worry about benefits or monthly overhead.  This approach allows the SMEs to focus on their core business while not “breaking the bank” to gain the cyber expertise they need.

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.